Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Chuseok 2012- Part 1

Chuseok is Korean holiday that involves celebrating the harvest, paying tribute to your ancestry and participating in folk games. This is really our first celebration of a Korean holiday together as a family. The holiday is celebrated for 3 days and some compare to the American Thanksgiving. The holiday actually falls on the 30th but we've been busy celebrating! In honor of Chuseok (Chu-sock is how you say it), I'm dedicating 3 blog posts to it.
This first one is all about the preparation. This past weekend we celebrated with old and new friends. I'll talk more about that later but today's post is all about the food! At the party we dined on all the Korean favs, Bulgogi, kimchi, rice, and japchae. I love Korean food but have to admit I typically leave it to the experts at the Korean restaurants to make it. No excuses this time though, I made the japchae. It's a noodle dish made with sweet potato noodles, lots of veggies and often meat. I tried to document the steps.  Not quite the photo quality as the Pioneer Woman's pics, but I tried.....
Sweet Potato Noodles.  Good thing my recipe had instructions on
how to boil because they were in Korean on the package.  I smuggled
these back from a Korean market in Seoul.  

These are my ingredients:  Mushrooms, carrots, onion, garlic, sesame oil, and whaaaa?  Candy corns?
Nope.  Just a cooking treat for this chef.

Replace candy corns with spinach.

The cooked vegtables

Finished!  

3 comments:

  1. It's crazy, I was confused for a moment which blog I was on! Well done Chef!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Alli - You probably don't remember me, but we met you in Korea at the luncheon at Dillon. I wanted to let you know that there is a really nice Korean grocery store near our house. If you would ever like anything, just let me know and I would be happy to mail it to you. They may even ship... I'm not sure. The store is called H-Mart and we live near the one in Naperville, IL. Andrea (andrea@auslandfineart.com)

    ReplyDelete