Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A birthday celebration for Nash in Korea and at Home.

One year ago today (July 6, 2010), halfway around the world, our first baby was born.  I think of Nash everyday, but today on Nash's first birthday, I'm thinking about the birthday celebration his FM might have planned for him.  A Korean birthday celebration known as dol.  The dol celebrations includes prayers, dressing Nash in his ceremonial dress (known as a han-bok), and perhaps participating in a Korean custom known as doljabee.   Oh I hope to see pictures of this oneday.  This ceremony blesses the child for a prosperous future and places objects in front of him for him to choose that would tell Nash's future and what career he might have.  Some items and examples might include a book or paintbrush, which if chosen would represent a scholar, food represents a government official, etc.  I'm sure if hubby was placing objects in front of him he might be pushing the soccer ball towards him.  I know he is surrounded by many who love him and have done everything possible to make this day special for him.  When we meet his FM, I'm going to remember to ask her how they celebrated this day, so I can tell Nash stories when he is older.
At the cabin, we had our little celebration for him, along with the July 4th birthday girls.  And check out the blog next year, for Nash's 2nd birthday, because I might already be planning a roaring party in which ya'll are invited!

Reagan and Julie, both July 4th babies!
Thanks for the cake Auntie Erinn!

I think Nash will fit in perfect with this crazy group!


2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday sweet little Nash! I am glad you were able to celebrate this special day with family at the lake. It will be one big 4th/Birthday Celebration next year!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sengil Chuka Nash! I hope birthday pictures are sent to your Mom and Dad soon!

    ReplyDelete