Thursday, June 14, 2012

A Little Push...

Over the past month I've pushed or tested Nash's interests in some new activities.  I've learned oodles about Nash by exposing him to these two new activities.  By "oodles" I mean, I learned your kid is obviously not going to love everything.  The first activity I enrolled him in was an abra-kadootle art class through our community education.  I enrolled him in this class shortly after we came home, nothing to loose right?  I was thinking he might be the next Picasso!  The class proved to not be the best fit, and when I say "not the best fit", I mean the last time we had to abruptly leave and tell the teacher we might not be back.  Nash did not enjoy having to sit still, listen to story time, or wear his art smock.  After the first class (which was pretty much disastrous), I decided that we should give it another go.  The next class was the one we had to leave abruptly.  At the time I was so embarrassed.  I thought to myself, how could Nash not think this was fun?  All the other kids seemed to enjoy it.  I quickly realized on the way home that it was my fault.  I put Nash in a situation in which I knew he was not happy, didn't have fun and thus set him up for failure.   I'm trying not to beat myself up over it.  I made the decision to not push the situation, and think it was the right one for Nash.  Maybe one day, when he likes to sit still, he might enjoy a class such as this.


The second activity I enrolled Nash in was swim lessons.  This past Tuesday we had our first mommy and me class.  I'm going to get on my soap box here but Nash learning to swim and feeling comfortable in the water is a must.  During our lesson, Nash got water poured over his head, zoomed quickly with his head underwater and floated on his back (while being held by me of course).  At the end of class, my pictures from Wednesday said it all.  He cried and fussed for about half the class, the other half he seemed to enjoy.  His teacher encouraged us to "push" our kids to their limits, knowing that it makes a difference.  I think Nash was pushed during this first session.  It was hard to keep pushing him through it, when I know it was uncomfortable and he rather be sitting on the sideline having a snack.  Will we persevere and continue?  Yep.  Will Nash want to quit again?  Yep.  But Nash is now a Larson, and the Larson's are tough and don't quit (well....accept in art class, hehe).  


This is just one of 1,454,0393,302 things you learn along the way.  I will continue to get Nash involved in a variety of activities.  Part of the fun is not really knowing which ones he is "naturally" drawn too.  Until then, I'm sure we will have repeats of our situation with the art class, as well as the successes too!



For posterity sake, I had him hold up my his first and last art project (for now).


If you can't tell, it's a giraffe.  Cute huh?
Yes, Butch is cute, too.


Ta-Dah! Might be worth millions some day...I'm just sayn'





2 comments:

  1. I think in that last picture Nash is saying "Ta-dah!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG i just say that that is exactly what you wrote! HA! I didn't even notice I swear!

    ReplyDelete